CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday's Tip--Advent Activity

Today I thought I'd share an activity I wanted to do last year but didn't have the time (due to my non Stay-at-Home status). You might enjoy doing this with your family as well. I can't wait to get started.

Matchbox Advent Calendar
You will need:
• a lot of match boxes• strong glue• spray paint• colorful paper• numerical stickers• advent activities, sweets or trinkets to put inside (optional)
Directions
1. Glue together 24 matchboxes to form a bank of drawers.
2. Paint or decorate around the outside of the boxes.
3. Glue small rectangles of colorful paper to the match box drawers (can use a scrapbooking page).
4. Number the drawers and pop your advent activities inside each of them. (To make them easier to open, you can use paper fasteners or glued-on buttons instead of numbers)
*Pictures and activity from KidCraftWeekly.com
Some Advent ideas are:
1. Put up Christmas tree
2. Make Christmas ornaments (I'm thinking of maybe something edible??)
3. Bake Christmas cookies (we'll probably do this several times)
4. Purchase a toy to send to a needy person or give to a charity (I thought about looking into doing a shoebox full of toys to send to a child or organization)
5. Have a picnic
6. Go out looking at Christmas lights after dark
7. Write a letter to Santa (If I do this I make sure my children understand that Santa is not real because I do not lie to my children or mislead them)
8. Sleep in the living room in front of the Christmas tree & fireplace
9. Watch a Christmas movie (can do this more than once)
10. Play games all evening
11. Bake something for Great grandparents and go visit them
12. Sing Christmas songs by guitar music
13. Make homemade hot chocolate with peppermint or cinnamon sticks
14. Take the kids to the mall to see Christmas decorations and to ride the carousel
15. Read the Christmas story and watch the movie about it (we have one)
16. Make a cake for Jesus' birthday
I'm about out of ideas for now and if you have any to share, please let me know! I would love to hear some of your ideas or traditions.
hope you enjoy the craft. I'm already enjoying listening to Christmas music all day as we are going about our daily routine.
Have a great day--I have a messy house to tackle! :o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I would like to share this post link on my blog to your blog. Is that okay?

MameyJane said...

Wow. Look at ya :). You might want to look into Operation Christmas Child about the shoebox thing. It's something I've wanted to do for a while but never got around to. Sounds like ya'll are going to have a FUN Christmas season!

Natural Mama said...

sure you may link my post! :)