CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday's Topic--Criticism

Today I felt like blogging about something I struggle with--criticism of others. In fact, I think it is a characteristic that plagues women a lot more than it does men. I feel this is because women like to size themselves up to others and we like to size others up to ourselves. How do we measure up to others? How do others measure up according to our standards?
Now there are several meanings of criticism, but the one to which I'm referring is this: "The act of passing judgement; faultfinding." How many times do we find fault? How many times do I find fault in others?

There are two ways of criticizing (using the definition I stated above). One way is verbally and the other is mentally, in our minds. I really don't know which one I do the most. It is easier to criticize others when you are around certain people. If you are around your friends and those with whom you feel most comfortable, you might be more at ease to 'speak your mind' and get an affirmation from that person than say, a stranger. It might even seem fun. Our minds seem to be 'to ourselves' so we can criticize all day and no one will ever know. Right? :o/

How does criticism make us feel? At first, it makes us feel good because we are A. elevating ourselves above others and B. covering our own faults by revealing another's. What happens after the 'high' is gone? We start feeling like we probably said too much, or we probably should've not said some of the things we said. If one feels like this after criticizing, that's good. It means there is still a conscience! :o)

What does the Bible say about criticizing? A lot. Here are a few verses that I really need to commit to memory and pray the Holy Spirit will bring them to mind when I'm tempted to criticize:
The famous one: Matthew 7:1-5

Matthew 7
1Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Now some liberals today will say that this means tolerance for everything and everyone. This is not what these scriptures mean. The Bible went on to say in verse 16, "Ye shall know them by their fruits". As true Christians, we should be able to observe others and tell by their fruits what they are. "A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit". I think these scriptures are referring to fault finding. How many times to we criticize others for things that we are guilty of as well? Could it be that we can't see our own faults? Proverbs 30:12 says, "There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness." I want to see my faults. I pray the Lord will reveal them to me so I can crucify the flesh in specific areas.

Has being critical of others ever resulted in your getting into trouble? It has me. Especially when I was a teenager or younger. I would criticize someone with another and they would go back and tell them--you know the game. Proverbs 21:23 says, "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles". I think about the trouble I could've spared myself if I had've kept my mouth shut. :o?

There are several additional scriptures in Proverbs that I could blog about, but for the sake of time I'll just mention the above.

How can we keep ourselves from finding fault? Crucify, crucify, crucify! Deny yourself the 'pleasure' of finding fault in others. It will take the Holy Spirit helping you AND practice. Start with your thoughts. YOU have control over them, ultimately. When you think negatively about someone, ask God to help you replace that thought with something good. When you've done this for a few days, you will find yourself doing it verbally. If you feel you MUST say something regarding someone, tell it to your husband-- if it is just something you can't get off of your mind and it is more of an 'issue' instead of fault finding.

Have I arrived? NO! The Lord is working on me though. Oh, and I thank Him so much. My prayer has been lately a fervent one: Lord, help me to crucify the flesh DAILY, minute by minute, hour by hour. We must 'die to self' to allow Christ to ultimately REIGN and live in our hearts. The work He wants to do can't be done if we are living to and for self.

I'll leave us with this scripture: "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones" Proverbs 16:24. Have you said anything pleasant about someone lately? Try it. I will--I sure could use some honey! :o)

Have a blessed day! I love all my blog readers! :o)

4 comments:

MameyJane said...

You are so right. I think we women are the worst about criticizing one another. I think it comes from comparing ourselves with one another. And what does the good word say about THAT? :(.

Pint-Size Princess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pint-Size Princess said...

Amen!!

Hmm... said...

Bro. Switzer preached an excellent message on that from Gal 5

13For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

14For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

15But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

Constructive Criticism is not bad but lets build up others that they might serve Christ to the fullest