CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Homeschooling..


Homeschooling is going really great. I am a teacher by profession, but more of one by heart. And the fact that I'm getting to teach (guide) my child(ren) is just the best feeling ever. I'm thankful several times a day for God allowing me and speaking to me about staying at home. It is my calling and I'm so glad I yielded to the call. I love everyday. Somedays are monotonous (sp?) and I really love the dependability of the days. But, anyone who has kids can tell you that there are really and truly zero monotonous days with small kids. Every day is so different and sweeter than the day before. I love being on a schedule, *knowing* what happens next in our day. The children know also and it keeps them from getting a little antsy and crazy. :o) We are not on a tight schedule, as in, "Oh, it's 9:30 on Thurs and I've got to scrub toilets this very minute". LOL In fact, I more than likely won't get to scrubbing toilets until I notice a line in the commode or start smelling urine. :o) But, I don't CARE!!! :o) My house is tidy and cozy and thanks to a couple of 10 minute pickups during the day, it stays fairly neat. We have a lot of fun, though. It's not *all* fun and games--I have to cook, sweep, laundry, yes, blessed laundry, etc., but I usually don't get too busy that I can't stop for a hug, a squeeze, a kiss, a little tag, you're it!

Back to homeschooling... In Spelling, Emory is just reviewing writing his letters now. I've had to really redirect him on this for somehow a few of his letters have been learned incorrectly. It would be so easy and less stressful for me to let him do it the way he's been writing them, but I don't want to water a seed of laziness or 'just anything will do' attitude. So, we've been writing correctly and rewriting correctly. :o) Math is still very easy for him now. He is just counting and writing how many, matching the number to the word, etc. It's a breeze. Reading is going good...we are halfway through our Reading book. I'm so excited to be finished and have him reading small books on his own! Language is through the Well-Trained Mind series and it is awesome. He has memorized one poem already and has learned the definition of a noun, how to distinguish between a common and a proper noun, etc. WOW. I taught fourth grade and I remember teaching that stuff! History is the same curriculum and it is advanced. This week he has learned about the Fertile Crescent, the first farmers, and the Egyptians. Guess who is learning with him??? Yup. ME!! We are memorizing scripture as well and are finally through with Psalm 1. :o)

You know today I was sitting there watching him work and what popped into my head was a thought that went something like this, "You know if I were teaching (or any teacher) out of this book, we would get about 3/4ths finished and the rest of the book would just be for naught." I have never finished a textbook in a schoolyear. I don't remember finishing one while I was in school. That is another huge plus about homeschooling. You can finish the schoolbooks. You can take your time, learn, and soak it ALL in. We can read all of our history book. It doesn't matter if we are still working on it next year--it won't be cast aside because it's a new year, time to get new books--we can finish it!

It still only takes us probably a little over an hour to do our schoolwork. It's amazing. I'm amazed. It shows me how much of traditional school is really devoted to learning. I think about a dear very intelligent student of mine I had last year in my class. She would finish early, rarely ever made under a 100 and spent most of her free time reading. At home, she wouldn't have to worry about the pressures of making a 100 and could advance herself without fear. She would get all of her subjects done in an hour or less. Think about that.

Another thing that I've been think on in regards to homeschooling is that I see a huge bond that has been created between me and my son. We are so close now and have such a special relationship! Little silly things we share, special praises for a job well done, he knows what I expect and I can see him trying hard to please me, it's just all good.

Daily I thank God for my calling and for my life right this moment.

1 comments:

MameyJane said...

You are such a testimony and example of the wonderful gift God has given us as Mothers, and what he truly intends for a home to be. I look up to you and hope that I can do as good a job as you when we start homeschooling! You'll be getting a lot of questions from me, I'm sure! ;) Love ya..