CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Chicken Pot Pie

I had Chicken Pot Pie on my menu for this week because I had some leftover chicken from the Chicken Salad I made last Wed night. I had trouble finding a recipe that didn't have Cr of Mr soup or Cr of Chicken (which I don't like to use b/c of MSG) and I did find one but didn't have access to a computer yesterday. SO, I had to make my own. It was yummy. First of all, I had some refrigerated chicken broth leftover from cooking the chicken the other day--so when you see chicken broth, that is from where it came.

Chicken Pot Pie

3/4 cup of cooked chicken (can use more, this is all I had)
2 cups of chicken broth (divided)
2 carrots, cut up
2 celery stalks, cut up
1/2 cup of English Peas (I used canned)
salt, pepper, garlic, poultry seasoning
1/4 cup of AP flour

In a skillet, saute raw vegetables in 1 cup of chicken broth. Add some about 1/2 tp of poultry seasoning. Add a little salt and pepper (I never measure). Saute until soft (for about 10 mins). Meanwhile, add a little garlic powder to cooked chicken (I don't measure--maybe 1/4 or 1/2 tp). Once vegetables are tender, add the vegetables to the chicken. Sprinkle the flour into the leftover broth and begin stirring immediatly with a fork. You should have the heat on low at this point. It will clump up some, but try to mash out the clumps with the fork. Slowly add the rest of the chicken broth, stirring and mashing the flour until it is mostly dissolved (I found I could quite get all the small lumps out, but that's ok). The mixture should be thickening. Add a little salt. After the flour is dissolved some and the mixture is thickened a bit, add it to the chicken/vegetables mixture. At this point you can put in the canned English peas (if you use frozen, you would want to put them in with the raw vegetables). Stir this up and make your crust.

For Crust:

2 Cups AP flour
2/3 to 3/4 vegetable shortening
1 tp salt
4 Tbsp. cold water

Mix shortening, flour, and salt with a fork or pastry blender until crumbs are pea size. Add water and pull together with a fork or fingers to form a ball. Roll out onto a clean counter and form into a circle big enough to cover pie dish.

Add chicken/vegetable mixture to a glass pie pan or a small casserole dish and carefully pick up your pie crust and put it on top of the vegetable mixture (it will be pretty thick--if it tears, you can mend it back pretty easily). Press the sides down around the edges of the pie plate.

Bake at 375 until pie crust is slightly brown--probably about 30 or 35 minutes.

Enjoy! You don't even miss the Cr of Chicken soup!!

3 comments:

Pint-Size Princess said...

FWIW, I usually make my own cream of chicken these days, but if you're not up for it, you can also usually find the "healthy" cream of chicken, it usually says less sodium on the label. Those ones usually don't have msg in them.

I can't wait for it to cool down so I can cook in my oven again without worrying about heating up the whole house. I've been doing all my baking after the kids go to bed!

Pint-Size Princess said...

Oh, easier way of thickening up your broth. Melt some butter, mix flour into that, brown it slightly, then add broth. Stir and cook until thick.

I do the same thing for cream of mush, just use milk instead of chicken broth, add a bit more salt/pepper/seasoning salt. If it's going in something like beef stroganoff, I'll add some chopped mushrooms, otherwise I just use the butter/flour/milk rue. Nobody in my house even noticed when I made the switch.

Crystal said...

I'm in Grand Bay. You do look familiar. Do you visit any campmeetings down this way?