CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Another Recipe...A Frugal one too!

This has been a very lean week, financially speaking, so I've been fixing from what I had in the cupboards. I had bought a pack of split peas for 72 cents a couple of weeks back and yesterday I made this soup. Very yummy and quite filling!

Split Pea Soup

3 qts. water
1/2 lb. bacon, cut in pieces
1 lb. (16 oz pkg) dry split peas
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 c. canned tomatoes
1/4 tsp. cumin seasoning
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1 med. onion, chopped
Put in slow cooker at night, ready for noon meal. Let cook on low all night. Very good. We also had this yummy cornbread:

My Mom's Cornbread (with my 'touches')
1/4 cup AP flour
1 & 1/4 cup Corn Meal
3 tps baking powder (or 1 tbs)
1 tp salt
1/4 cup oil
1 cup milk (may need a littl more if you use buttermilk)
I add 3 tbs of melted butter (if you don't add the butter, put 1/2 cup of oil instead of 1/4)

Preheat oven to 450-500. Add a small bit (bout 1 tbs) of shortening (can use oil or drippings--depends on how healthy you feel that day..lol) to a cast iron skillet and place in the oven for shortening to get hot. Mix dry ingredients; add liquids. Stir well and take out hot skillet. Put batter into skillet (it should sizzle) and bake for about 15-20 minutes. You have some fine southern cornbread!! :o)

This meal probably cost less than $5.00!!

1 comments:

Pint-Size Princess said...

Ooh, I'll have ot try that. I know I have some split peas in cabinet somewhere.