CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Day Out


Yesterday Dh and I were out saving a few figs from being devoured by hungry birds and I spontaneously suggested that we go to the beach (which was suggested first, the shopping part was suggested later and we see what we actually DID) so my Dh (the KING of spontanaiety..lol) said, "Let's Go". So, we had a LOT of prepping to do and it was actually after lunch before we headed out. We asked my MIL to go with us and she helped entertain the kids on the little over 2 hour drive to the coast. I desperately needed to get Emory some new shoes, so we stopped at the outlets on the way in. He has to have Wide Width or better yet, Extra Wide Width, so I got him 3 pair from Stride Rite. I hope these hold up for him at least until we make another trip down at Christmas. Just as desperately, Erin needs some new church dresses, especially since our annual campmeeting is coming up, so I went into Strasburg, definitely not thinking I would be able (read: afford) to buy her anything. They had some in season markdowns and had an additional 20% first item markdown, 30% second item markdown, and 40% third item markdown. Anyway, I got Erin 2 gorgeous smocked dresses and Evan a little jumpsuit (to match!) for a little over $100. I was really pleased with my savings!!


It is a little after five by this time and I am getting hungry. I enjoy eating 'on the beach' at an authentic seafood restaurant. However, I DID NOT KNOW that it is near impossible to eat on the beach near seven o'clock, on Saturday, without waiting forever! The first place had a TWO hour wait, so we said no way. We piled everyone back in the van and drove to a second place. It had a 45 minute wait so we put our names down. We changed our mind and drove to about 3 more places, all having a huge wait. We wasted about 30 minutes looking/driving, so we came back to the second place and figured our name was about to be called. We got out and waited about 30 more minutes, but it wasn't too bad. The weather was sort of rainy and cool. The food was good, but you know it's never as good as it was anticipated. :o) Especially after the ticket is paid and you have nothing to show for except for a too-full tummy and a sick feeling! :o) Maybe one day we'll learn in that area. Anyway, I just enjoyed today. BUT, it was so late when we got finished eating that the public beach was closed. We had taken some clothes to spend the night, but my MIL didn't really want to. It didn't matter too much to me, but I was very bummed for my children's sake that they didn't get to see the beach. again. (The same thing happened last time we came...too much shopping...no beach) I felt so bad for them that at WalMart on the way home, I got them a toy. :o) I never do that, but I really felt bad. They didn't throw temper tantrums or anything, which I was so proud of them, but you could tell they were disappointed! :o/ I sure hope we can go back soon and just take them to the beach (and go to Shakes, baby, to get a custard...yum). We had a miserably sleepy ride home and got home at near one o'clock.


All in all, it was a good day. I got some good bargains. If I had it to do over again, I would go shopping, eat somewhere away from the beach (Mellow Mushroom which was first sugg by my dh), have time to go to the beach for about an hour (that is plenty, imo, with small children), then go get ice cream!! ;O)


I'm so glad to spend time with my family. I love being with my mother-in-law too. My kids adore her and she is the most unselfish person I know! She hadn't seen her hubby all day and I can't blame her for wanting to go home! ;o)


Tomorrow is my birthday and a perfect day to me is a day just like this one with my family. Having fun and being together!! ;O)

1 comments:

Pint-Size Princess said...

Happy Birthday!! Sounds like a great day!!

The other day we hit a TJMaxx to get dh some new shorts with what little bit of extra money we still had left over after buying our car. We ended up buying him 5 pairs of shorts, got Genesis 2 dresses for winter (she has almost no skirts/dresses for this winter) and me two skirts, one I should be able to wear for another month or two, the other will have to wait until after the baby is born. We spent less than $200 for all that! And it's all name brand clothing. Like one of the dresses we got for G was a Ralph Lauren.

We usually don't have the money to spend on even such great deals so most our clothes are hand-me-downs, but I love it when we can!