CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 24, 2008

Dinner and other talks about food...

Tonight I made my first ever batch of homemade tortillas. The shells, you know. :) They were way better than those bought in the stores and they don't have 20 ingredients in them. Actually, it's just flour, shortening, salt, and water. Nothing artificial, no preservatives. Cool, huh?

We had Chicken/Spinach Quesadillas along with Chips and Salsa (semi-homemade). Everything was good and since I had just nursed Evan, I gorged myself. :) After I nurse, I can eat heaps of food and drink lots of water or tea. It's amazing the difference nursing can make with your appetite.

Anyway, that's not my subject. :) What kinds of foods do I prefer? Well, if I am not at home, I will eat almost anything. I don't eat a lot of packaged (processed) foods, but since I eat in the cafeteria at school, probably lots of foods are processed made out to be homemade, kwim? But, just stopping by the store and grabbing some packaged type of junk food? Nope, not me. I can't force myself when I know there are some awful *fake* ingredients in these foods. Now, honey, if you read this, I know I will occasionally get something at the store when we are on a trip. ;o) I enjoy it too. Ha.

When we are home, I usually cook about 3-4 times per week. I fix most things from scratch. No premade Lasagnas or anything like that. It's not that I try to be all Martha or anything, it's just that I can't stand all the 'extra' ingredients that are put into prepackaged foods. I have educated myself on the harm that preservatives, artificial colorings, and hydrogenated oils can do to your body. I enjoy cooking nutritious, fresh meals for my family.

When I shop, 95% of the food items in my buggy will be organic. I have a sense of pride in knowing that I am feeding my family the best and the healthiest. You can afford Organic. If you don't buy a lot of prepackaged foods like cookies, chips, mac and cheese dinners, mash potato dinners, canned goods, etc., you can afford organic foods. What do I usually buy organic? Well, I will buy Organic Orange Juice, Organic Milk, Organic canned goods (veggies, I save them for emergencies and use fresh first), Organic cereal, Organic canned chicken, organic PB & Jelly, organic baby foods, organic yogurt, and organic produce. Some things I can't get organic like butter and cheese. The chicken I buy (other than canned) isn't organic, but it is antibiotic-free. Some things I can get from the health food store, like organic grits. I could get butter and maple syrup there, but it is too expensive (butter=$7).

My goal is to eat healthier and healthier. Not be an 'in your face' person who looks down on others for not eating healthy--most ppl aren't educated about healthy eating. Those that are, it IS hard not to wonder why they won't eat healthier or feed their kids healthier.

Anyway, that is how we eat in a nutshell. :)

4 comments:

Pint-Size Princess said...

I want to be like you when I grow up :)

No really, we do eat a lot from scratch and I'm getting better at that and slowly getting all the icky stuff out of diet, but I'm pretty slow moving about it! And I sometimes question the "organic" stuff. Organic prepackaged foods still have the same ingrediants, just with "organic" put in front of everything. I know you were saying you don't buy much prepackaged, but I was just giving that as an example. I do do some organic, but can't afford to do everything.

What's your tortilla recipe? Do you have a press? We use a ton of tortillas,but I'm afraid without a press I'll end up with something more akin to pita bread than tortillas.

MameyJane said...

Ahh...it's so good to read your blogs again :). I especially liked the one about conservatism :). You go, girl. BTW, did you ever get to deliver husband message #2 to the Ladies Meeting?

Natural Mama said...

Hey Megan,

Well, the organic label means there are no preservatives, additives, pesticides or artificial anything. That makes me feel better! :)

The tortilla recipe was 3.5 cups of flour, 1/2 plus 1 tbs shortening, 1.5 tps salt, & 1 cup plus 2 tbs lukewarm water

Add flour, shortening, & salt together and rub with fingers until evenly mixed. Pour in the warm water and mix until smooth dough is formed. Divide dough into 12 balls. Place on cutting board and cover with towel for 15 mins. Press with a rolling pin into a flat circular shape (could use a press?). Fry on a dry skillet for 40 seconds on each side.

I'm going to use 1/2 cornmeal tomorrow night for tacos and see how they turn out!

Natural Mama said...

Amy,

My next 'sermon' is going to be April 7. March ladies meeting was cancelled. I hope you get to attend. It is going to be on 'Building A Family that will Last' and it addresses the family and how your family can 'make it' so to speak! Glad to have you 'back'. Thanks for watching my kiddos today!!