CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Oh, Toothless One...

Well, after a year of fighting with a bad jaw tooth, I had it extracted! Such liberation! Such, er, pain!

Here's how my journey was with my tooth.

Back in March or April of last year, my tooth chipped. I knew it had been filled, so I figured the fillings had probably come up. Well, I got to the dentist before it started hurting and they said that the tooth had broken and some of the nerves were exposed. This meant they had to 'open' the tooth and sort-of do a root canal. I was pregnant, so they didn't do a full one. My family dentist referred me to have an endodontist look at it. Well, I didn't jump on that (I don't jump on ANYTHING in the medical profession...ha) until I woke up in excrutiating pain one morning in July. It was right before my due date. We headed over to see the endodontist which happened to be a sort-of friend of mine. He worked me in and once again just opened the tooth, cleaned it out, and told me to come back when I had the baby. Well, I was in so, so, so much pain that day. I will never forget that pain. Anyway, once again, I fooled around and didn't go back. I *Just* finished paying for that little operation (it was like $600..insurance pd. some, I think I had to pay about $400 or so). Well, I went to my family dentist in February for my cleaning and to see if he would just pull the blasted thing. Well, he hemmed and hawed around and didn't want to do it (basically because his endodontic friend wouldn't receive the $$$$ it would cost to fix it) so I left again with said tooth in my mouth.

Well, a few weeks back, I put on my Researcher Hat and got on the internet to look up root canals. I was looking to see how safe they are. Well, I found that in about 75% of root canals, the canal isn't sealed off all the way and infection constantly leaks into the bloodstream. I also learned about the paste they use to seal the canal has some properties of formaldehyde? Anyway, I decided then and there, I just wanted it out! The author of the article went on to say that teeth are the only thing 'dead' that doctors want to leave on the body. Why leave something dead in your mouth? It decays and rots! Anyway, I decided to get another opinion!

So, I went to my Dh's dentist. I told the hygenist (thank goodness, I knew her, I taught her son) that I wanted it out!! She didn't seem to keen on the idea but said she's tell the dentist. I could here them talking in the hall. Anyway, surely he thought I was a wacko to want my tooth pulled when I could have it left in my mouth! :o) But, he gave me two options: a root canal, or tooth extraction. Here I sit before you, toothless! :) I'm so glad to get this love/hate tooth relationship behind me! I'm so glad I wrote the Dear John letter to him. I'm so glad I cut all ties (er floss) with that tooth! It has caused me some pain (don't all 'broken' relationships?) but I'm relieved it's over! Now I can get on with my life!! :o)

Sigh, my Spring Break is almost over. It has been wonderful. I'm so excited about my SAHM status that begins May 18, 2008. God is good.

Thanks for listening about my tooth. Sometimes it helps to put it on paper. You know, the first step in getting past a relationship is acceptance. :o) (No, I'm still not under anesthesia) haha

1 comments:

Pint-Size Princess said...

Congrats on getting your tooth pulled! I desperatly need to get to a dentist, but we just don't have the money right now. My wisdom teeth, which have been coming in for 8+ years are all impacted, but I've decided that since they are so expensive to pull I'll just have the dentist pull on of my other teeth, preferably one with cavities. Hey, if makes space for the wisdom tooth that's all I care about it!

I'm so excited about your sahm status. maybe then you'll have time to blog more, lol. Yeah right, b/c you won't have anythign better to do then eat bonbons and blog, right?