CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Elimination Communication

While I was pregnant, I read a book on infant potty-training. I can't remember the name of the book--it's under my bed. I decided I *might* try it. Being a working mother, I just thought about maybe doing it hit and miss. So, when Evan was really tiny (like a few weeks old), I would put him on the potty and most of the time, he wouldn't do anything. So, I've not pushed the issue since he was about a month old.

Fast forward to Christmas Day. He hadn't 'been' in a couple of days and I could tell it was aggravating him some. You know, no poop = frustration and blah feeling. LOL Anyway, we were at the table eating, I holding him, and I could tell he was getting a little atsy. Squirmy, uncomfortable, ya know? A vibe only his mother would've detected. So, I just decided (out of the blue--a nudge from God?) to whisk him off to the potty. In addition to being adorable on the potty, he also looked rather humorous. Well, right away, he started grunting. Before I knew it, he had blowed out his poop (sorry) right down into the bowl!! I was so amazed.

What is so amazing still, is that every single day since Christmas, he has pooped for me in the potty! Some times more than once/day! I'm so amazed. He tee-tees everytime also. Even if he has just 'gone', he will grunt and strain until he tee-tees, even just a fraction of a milliliter! LOL He is so stinkin' cute!

If you want to try it, what I do is wait about 5 or 10 minutes after he eats and I notice he gets a little squirmy. Sometimes he even grunts a bit. I rush him off to the potty, put a tissue over his manhood (haha), and he will go 95% of the time. In the mornings, that is the first thing I do is take him and he. will. go. Just like that. It's amazing!

He is getting so heavy that I decided to weigh him last night. Eighteen pounds! He felt a whole lot heavier. He is getting way chunky! Over the holidays, he has 'asked' to nurse to go to sleep. I reluctantly obliged him. Now, I just whip it out and hand over the goods! LOL I think the extra milk is making him beef up for sure!

Come on 6 months when he can sit up! :)

Just thought I'd share my potty success. BTW, we are still doing some in our diaper. You know, when he is down playing, etc., he doesn't ask me to go potty. :) But, he will wait longer to teetee, and I think he is waiting for me to take him and then I don't show up. :(

God didn't invent them in diapers anyway, right? ;)

2 comments:

MameyJane said...

I was "bragging" to my nursery buddy at church about this the other night. She just couldn't believe it! I'm all for it! The less diapers you have to change, the better. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to get our little here and try it on him/her. :)

Pint-Size Princess said...

I read about EC before our 5yo was born and was all gung-ho for it. And then the reality hit that I couldn't figure out how to nurse, keep a bowl under him (he always went while eating) AND stop his "manhood" from spraying everywhere. And since then I've just been too lazy, lol. But both boys by 2yo would use hte potty as long as they were naked, so I jsut let them around half naked for a good year or so until they get it all worked out, lol.