CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Homeschooling Part 1


It seems as if Tuesday has become my blog day and although I'd prefer it to be more frequent, I'm doing what I can, I guess. It's been a little while since I've written a blog on homeschooling and since I'm as passionate about it as ever, I thought it was time.
Homeschooling has become a conviction for me. This means if I didn't do it, I would be disobeying God and missing out on that part of His will for me and my children. I feel all the benefits that one feels when they are being obedient to God in their convictions--benefits that cause one to wish everyone had the same conviction as you do, yk? I believe a lot of the time, God may have in mind the same convictions for most of His people, He's just waiting for a willing and obedient heart to listen and hear what He wants them to do. Some people may say, "Well I'm going to send my children to school and that's that", and never stop to listen for what God wants to happen in the education of that child. Others may think, "Well, I never could be adequate enough to teach my child", and never stop to think that GOD could empower them with wisdom and confidence to do this great job. Another feeling may be, "Well, I'm sending my children to school because I KNOW God would have them be a witness to other children," without stopping to think that God may indeed have other plans, or may see a child becoming ensnared by the world instead of the child being a witness. The last thing people may say is, "Well, if my child was going to so and so school, then I would, but our school is a really good one", without stopping to ask God--"what is really going on there?" The key here is to be prayerful about the education of your child just like you are prayerful about anything (if not moreso) and then LISTEN to what God has to say...be WILLING to be obedient if He has other options.
I did not decide to homeschool because I am a teacher by occupation. I felt God urging me (not nudging, but urging) to do so even before I took my first class as a 'certified' teacher. I do think that my being a teacher really helped me be obedient to God a little more than I might have been had I not been 'out there' as a teacher. If we are saved and are following Christ, then I believe His hand rests upon us. If we allow Him, he will turn His hand and lead us where He wants us to go (if we LET him). I have felt His hand direct us to homeschooling and make it clear to us why we are doing so.
The ultimate reason that was impressed strongly upon me was this statement. Why would I let my little lamb get out of my car every day and send him into a den of wolves? Sure, there are other little lambs there, but there are some wolves there too. A wolf waiting to tell your lamb that mom's and dad's ideas don't matter. A wolf waiting to tell your lamb about sex, but not in the way you would explain it to him. A wolf waiting to make fun of your child and to lower his self confidence (which many kids have ZERO by the time they graduate). A wolf wanting to grab your child in an unappropriate way (your child may never tell you....I didn't...and I went to one of those 'good' schools), a wolf wanting to slip your child a prescription pain pill that he got from his mom's purse or out of the medicine cabinet. These are just a few things that happen daily in schools. Why would I take a chance?!?!? This is MY lamb that God gave me. I am the shepherd over my lamb with God being my ultimate shepherd. I will not let a pack of wolves bite and tear on my child all in the name of a decent education. An education where He may be distracted constantly or may be pushed 'under the rug' because He can't achieve as fast as others and 'hey we are on a time schedule'.
Part 2 later.......

2 comments:

Pint-Size Princess said...

Amen!

MameyJane said...

Most likely, I'll be homeschooling, but as far as it being a conviction, I'm just not there yet. I really almost dread it. Something I need to pray through about. Maybe your posts will help.