CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Homemade Things...

Before I get on to my topic, I thought I'd do a quick update. I would love to be blogging everyday, but it seems I can't get into the swing of things, so every post I do, I have to update, it seems. We had the sickies move in last week starting with youngest son. I did take him to the doctor, which I usually don't do, but I followed my instincts and did. He had an ear infection, swollen glands, and just a yucky upper respiratory infection. He is cutting 3 teeth that have been boogers, let me tell you. He has never displayed such an ill temperament since he has been born as he has this past week/weekend. It was trying, but thank goodness, God gives us strength, He causes time to heal, and things do get better. He was a little better it seemed yesterday, so I hope we are on the mend. Middle child, dear daughter, has a bad cold and she has been feeling really poorly. The good part is that I don't think her ears are hurting and she is not teething, so she is taking things better. She seemed to be some better yesterday as well. Oh, I pray, I pray, we are getting better! Every time my kids get sick, however, it causes me to evaluate how I"ve been feeding them and if I've been taking precautions (for ex. seeing that their hands get washed as frequently as they should) that are necessary to prevent germs (as much as possible). I'm by no means a germ freak. In fact, it would do me good to be a little more germ conscious. I can always improve on the healthy eating aspect. One thing I'm planning on doing is planning out my meals for lunch and breakfast instead of just supper planning. It's easy to take the 'quick' or the 'junk' route for lunch instead of fixing a healthy meal. At least taking the time to cut up some fruit for them to eat with breakfast and lunch. Or taking the time to think about what raw vegetables they WILL eat and setting those before them for snacks. Oh, yes, I can improve! Also, seeing that they take their vitamins and immune boosters (like Elderberry tablets, etc) regularly. Youngest son never slacks in this dept because he wakes up asking for his 'ray-ray' or vitamins (I don't have a clue how he got that out of the word, vitamin).
We took a little weekend trip down to Pensacola, Florida, to a church fellowship meeting and enjoyed in immensely. I know some people would probably think us crazy for 'taking vacations' to church fellowship meetings or campmeetings, but we love it. We love church and seeing people that we haven't seen in years (like I did this weekend, meeting a girl I met about 14 or 15 years ago at a church in north Arkansas, who had 3 children, the oldest in whom she had NAMED HER AFTER ME! Isn't that amazing?! We were visiting while our children played at the swings and she and I got to talking and found out that we knew each other! It was amazing! She said that she remembered my name when she had her daughter--who was 13-- and liked it because she didn't know any more "Monica's"--and decided to name her that. We enjoyed talking and I give her my address and Email.) Anyway, one of the cool things about vacationing to fellowship meetings. Another cool thing is hearing testimonies of people saved from sin and delivered from meth and crack, etc.--people who came with a Homeless Ministry from Oklahoma. Wow, it is amazing what God is doing. We enjoyed ourselves in spite of our children being so poorly in health during that time. God's people are the most wonderful people, don't you agree? And the amazing thing is that He desires for EVERYONE to be His people.
Well...I promised a friend that I would do a blog on some homemade things or tips that I implement in my own home. Money savers, if you will. Maybe you can find one of these Homemades to use in your home.
HOMEMADE LAUNDRY SOAP
I began making my own soap about 2 years ago, probably. My very favorite laundry detergent is Mrs. Meyers and would you believe that a month or so ago, I found several containers of Mrs. Meyers Laundry Detergent at a burnout type store in which I love to shop? I stocked up (my mom and I, who is more health conscious than I) and was in laundry heaven for a while. Anyway...my supply is gone and I'm back to my homemade version. Here it is...It is very cheap and the recipe I'm giving here lasts about a week for a family of 5 (if you wash everyday like me).]
Grate 2 bars of Ivory soap (with a cheese grater...do not use the tiny holes, it will take forever)
1 cup of Baking soda
2 cups of Borax (can buy in the laundry section)

Shake up and store in a plastic container (mine is a Rubber maid one that I got in the storage section at walmart--I think it's a 8 cup container or something of the sort). Use 1/2 cup in your laundry. Now the only thing is that this has no smell. That may bother some people, but it doesn't me because I have severe allergies and I don't need an unnatural smell (Mrs. Meyers uses essential oils for the smell). I also hang out my clothes and get that 'fresh' smell the air gives. You can purchase Lavendar Essential oils or a few more 'flavors' at a health food store and add a drop or two to your laundry water to get that fresh smell. I did that once, but all I had was peppermint oils and it wasn't too pleasant to have my laundry smelling like peppermint! LOL
So...those are two ways to save on your laundry budget. Make your own detergent and hang out your clothes.
Now I am going to do a separate post for the other homemades....

0 comments: