CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday's Topic--Children's Chores


It's been a long time since I posted on a topic. Something that I wanted to share today was chores for your children.

Do your children do chores around the house? Do you find yourself just doing it yourself because it takes to long for them to do it or to show them how? Could you use some extra help with little small jobs? Well, I have the answer? Assign these jobs to your children!

For about 3 weeks now, I have been assigning specific chores for my children. I made it interesting and they *almost* think it is fun. :o) Here's what I do:

I will go around the house and find 9 things that need doing. Examples are:

trash needing emptying

toys need picking up in certain rooms

books need picking up

puzzle pieces need to go back in ziploc bags

dirty clothes need to go to hamper

couch/pillows need straightening up

table needs sweeping under

child's clothes needs hanging up or putting away in drawers

all shoes to be put away in closet

schoolwork and drawing papers to be put in a pile

Animals need to be fed, etc.

I write all the chores (I have a collection now and just put the appropriate ones in) down and put the slips of paper in a jar. Each child will *draw* for their chores. Each time they draw, they will go and do that chore and come back to get another, etc. Even Evan has one chore that he does (4 for Emory, 4 for Erin, and 1 for Evan). You can do this based on the age of the child. For example, a 2 year old could do 2 chores, 5 yr old, 5 etc.

It usually takes us about 30 minutes to do all the chores because I have to help them and guide them some.

Now, think that it will be better for me to just do it myself? Well, the first week was hard. I had to explain everything. How to put the clothes on the hangers and put them in the closet, how to arrange the pillows on the couch, etc. But, by this week, I have to do less and less explaining, esp because they are getting repetitive chores every day. Practice makes perfect. I envision that in 6 weeks, they can draw their chore, even read it themselves, and rush off and do it without my help.

If they do all their chores cheerfully and without complaint, they get to pick a piece of leftover Halloween candy. I will probably keep this up until the candy is gone and then they will just be expected to do the chore without a *tangible* reward. :o) Today, Emory didn't get candy because he did not pick up all the toys off of the bedroom floor. And then when I went in there to check on him, he was sitting on the bed, pouting. So, after the proper *training* method, he did the chore, but still didn't get any candy. :o)

My goal is hardworkers who work cheerfully. I do not want them to be my slaves and I will not treat them as such. But, everyone in the family should be required to do their share. It will make the family operate smoothly. If I start them young helping out then they won't look on it as work or drudgery. It will be a normal part of the day.

As for me, I'm still washing clothes, hanging out, dishes, cooking, etc., etc., :o) :o) Now, as they get older, it will be so nice to have a daughter stand beside me washing dishes and drying...:o)

What is your method or take on children doing chores?

3 comments:

Pint-Size Princess said...

Yay for chores!! My kids actually do most of the work around here, it seems. Everyday after school they have to pick up the whole house (granted, we have a very small house). I go around and give each room (all 5 of them, lol) a number 1-5 based on how messy they are, then try and split up the rooms so they're even. The boys who picks up a room is expected to have everything off the floor before they say they're done. It's mostly their messes anyway. They also fold and put away all their own clothes. Oh, and if I get any attitude during clean up time, I add another chore to their list. My windows have never been so clean :)

MameyJane said...

Loved this post! I so need to get my kids going! Thanks for the encouragement and ideas.

Anonymous said...

This is a confirmation. I was driving today back from a school drop off and I was thinking ways to really get my kids to help out more without me wanting to go behind them and rush them. I was thinking of a post that I read where the lady made a jar of jobs for hubby for when he has more time. I am so laughing but I think this is such a great idea. My hubby,hmmm? Anyway, I was thinking that I needed to do this for my kids and do jobs that I feel they can do age wise and have them draw it.

Thanks for sharing!