CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Thursday's Tip--my bread recipe


I say "My" bread, but of course, I didn't invent it, the Amish did. :o)


Here it is and you can see what is left from yesterday out of one loaf.


Ingredients


2 cups warm water

2/3 cup white sugar

1 & 1/2 tbs active dry yeast

1 & 1/2 tps salt (don't skimp--I add a little extra b/c I use sea salt)

1/4 cup vegetable oil

6 cups AP or bread flour


Directions


1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth (I just knead it in the bowl, if it is large enough, it will do fine...flip over, knead with your knuckles and flip over, etc...). Place in a well oiled bowl and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. (I turn my stove on about 120 degrees..or the first setting while I'm making this and then turn it off when I put my bread in to rise..the stove will be nice and warm, but not too hot)

3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes and divide in half. Shape into loaves and place into two well oiled 9 x 5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


Enjoy the yummy smell wafting from your oven!


Have a great Thursday--I'm off to our Homeschooling Thanksgiving Dinner in a bit. Gotta get the kiddos ready and mash up my potatoes on the stove. Today is a gorgeous day here--enjoy!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!