CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 12, 2008

Thursday's Tip

It's actually early Friday morning, but since I fell asleep on the couch and missed my usual posting session, I'll post now! :o)

Tip for ya:

If you are having trouble with your homeschooler being antsy, unattentive, and even quite bored or disgusted with schoolwork, review what he or she has done entertainment-wise for that day. Any TV? Any Gameboys? Any Highly Stimulating computer time or other activities? Schoolwork doesn't compete very well with those activities. The brain has been stimulated albeit while having to do close to nothing other than letting itself be stimulated and entertained, and now it's having to work! It's shocking to it! What? No moving pictures? No highly colored images? No little men jumping around? No action? Just white paper and wait...I've got to use that yellow long pointed object to put something on that white paper? Wow, that's a lot of work! :o) (That is the brain's dialogue, btw. :o)

Okay, so I've learned my lesson. My Aha moment. No Gameboys, computer time, OR TV until all schoolwork is done. And I've got to balance the entertainment. He doesn't do any probably half as much as *normal* 21st century kids, but still it's probably too much. They only watch a movie on Wednesday's (while I mop) and maybe on the road if we go on long trips. He may chose either gameboy or computer time AFTER his homeschooling session and complete activity for 30-45 minutes.

Just thought I'd pass on that tip for ya. Will be posting some pix for ya tomorrow! :o) Good night, er, morning.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I don't homeschool my older son as of yet. I can see a total difference in everything when he has had way to much stimulation.

One thing I don't allow him any game time in the week. But on the weekends he can play in moderation. But I noticed on Sunday mornings he will play before church and watch TV while we are getting everyone ready and then he seems to be so not into service as he is when he goes out and plays a little.