CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

To Elisha...

One of my friends, Elisha, reads my blog and had some questions about scheduling/organization. I hope it's okay that I just make a post about it??

First of all, I am far from the organizational guru, but I do have some tips that help my home run smoothly.

The first tip is with really young children (like 4 and under), it is pertinent that you get up before them every morning. It gives you a head start and you can sort of straighten up for the day. Just 30 minutes is enough. Here's what I do before my youngest 2 get up (Emory is an early riser, but he doesn't get in the way of my morning chores):

*Iron husband's clothes (sometimes he beats me to it or I don't get up in time, sorry, honey)
*Set a timer for 15 minutes and straighten up the 'living' part of the house. This is the living/dining room for us. *BTW, get you a timer. I got one at the dollar store for $1 or $2
*Read your Bible (I have a reading schedule which helps me...I don't have to take the time to search what I'm going to be reading.) This just jump-starts my day. And I'm like you, if I put it off to the end of the day, I will be too tired to do it.

By this time, the kiddos are waking up. Go ahead and greet them with kisses and hugs (my kids do better if I love on them for a few minutes before 'sending them off' while I do more chores). Then, make your bed (even if you don't get around to cleaning the rest of your room) and get fully dressed...even put your shoes on. You will be surprised at just having shoes on will get you motivated to 'do the next thing'. Third, spend 2 or 3 minutes straightening up your room. Start a load of laundry. I do one load a day and NONE on the weekends. Monday is sheets/Tuesday is kids clothes/Wed Dh clothes/Thurs My clothes/ Fri towels/washcloths.
While you are making breakfast, put the kids at the table and put on a CD of kids Bible stories or songs and give them an activity to do. If they aren't used to this, they may want to get up or not cooperate, but you must train them to sit there while you are fixing breakfast. You will love how having them in one place keeps you from having to stop and 'break up siblings' or keeps them from messing up the house, etc. We have a different table activity for each day. Monday is books (I just pile a bunch of books on the table and they 'read' them), Tuesday is blocks and drawing boards (wipe off/things), Wednesday is coloring books, Thursday is puzzles, Friday is blocks, Saturday is drawing, etc... Anyway...it makes things go smoothly!

After Breakfast, immediately put away the dishes, stack them in the sink, wipe off the table, and you can even wash them if your kids want to finish their table activity (if I don't have many, I will wait until Lunch or supper). We do a small devotion before we get up from the table.

I help them 'clean their rooms' and we put our play clothes on for the day. Now think about what has been done already: My room is straightened, I am dressed, the living area is straightened, I've read my Bible, the kids are fed and they are calm because they have been playing quietly, their rooms are clean, and it is just around 11:00! You can smile! :) I get my kids dressed down to shoes in case we need to go somewhere on the spur of the moment. Usually around this time, the baby is ready for his nap. I can just lay him down and go on with the next thing. We go outside now because I believe it is so impt for them to get some sunshine and fresh air. We stay out for an hour. During this time, they get popsicles (a treat--they deserve it) and I will hang out my clothes (you can put yours in the dryer at this point--I just love hanging mine out..I'm weird) while they play. Sometimes I will swing them for awhile or we will play kickball. Today, I read a new book I got in the mail while they played in their imaginative world.

When we come in, it is time for lunch already! I will put them back at the table for the same table activity while I fix lunch (now, the kids will help me 'set the table' of get out the tea/ice, etc...I do believe in teaching them work ethic) which will either be leftovers from the night before or something quick and healthy. After lunch, we straighten up the kitchen again (takes 5-10 minutes) and I read them from our Read Aloud book. Then Erin will go for her nap and Emory and I do school work (if Evan is awake at this time, he will just be crawling around and playing) for about 30-45 minutes. Then he goes to bed for a nap. Some days all of them are napping at the same time and that is wonderful. When Emory starts his independent schoolwork, I start on my chores for the day. Here's what I do: Mondays: Sweep Living/Dining /Kitchen, Clean out Purse/Diaper bag, Clean all mirrors/glass surfaces, Fold Sheets (Put them on beds if kiddos aren't in them..:), wipe down all appliances
Tuesdays: Fold and Put Away kids' clothing, Dust (just go through house with a duster), clean out van
Wednesdays: Fold and Put away Dh's clothing, Sweep living/dining/kitchen, Mop front of house, sweep off sidewalk and porch, water all plants/flowers
Thursdays: Fold and Put away my clothing, Clean bathrooms
Fridays: Fold and Put Away towels/washcloths, sweep in laundry room/straighten , sweep in bedrooms and mop (sometimes I have to wait until they are taking their baths at night to do this)

Mon/Wed/Fri I empty all trashcans into big trashcan and take out, also I do some gardening in the midst of all this, and reading, occasionally I get to sit in the recliner and relax with a good book! LOL

Anyway, usually at 4:00, I start on Supper plans. I try to know ahead of time what I will fix and sometimes have something in the Crock Pot! YUM. I make tea at this time too and any other preps.

If the kids get up before supper is served, I will let them watch a short movie or play a computer game, or do a table activity.

After supper, we pretty much just spend time as a family...going walking, visiting In laws, swimming, etc. They get bathed and we do family Bible reading/prayer too.

This schedule really works for me and I even get time for hugs and kisses from my babies! Really, just make you a FLEXIBLE schedule (don't pack every single minute in) and go for it. If you have lots of clutter, set you a timer for 15 minutes (put that in your schedule) and tackle it every day until it's gone.

Think on encouraging scriptures during the day! You are the queen of your home and you are doing all for the 'glory of God'.

Let me know if I can be of more help to you, okay? Congrats on baby # 3!!!!

1 comments:

Pint-Size Princess said...

I know, for me, that when things are a little extra chaotic, like when there's a new baby, or the kids are all sick for like 3 wks, or I'm sick (morning sicknes especially!) I will completely fail if I try and do a "chore a day" type thing. Like if I say "monday is living room, Tues is kitchen" etc. So what I do (and what I had to do when I first started getting used to actually keeping hte house clean) is to just make a list of everythign that should probably be done weekly and then I just work my way down the list, getting as far as I can in a day. Somedays I will get nothing done. That's ok. Somedays I get lots done. Sometimes it takes me 2-3 wks to get through the list, but hey, at least stuff is getting done!